Winter is a time of the year when the motivational levels for many are at an all time low. It has got something to do with the plummeting temperatures and partly to do with the lesser intensity of Sun and other factors but a solution is important. If the entire winter is just a waste of time due to the fact that you face winter blues then the productivity is seriously affected and your work suffers a great deal. So in this article we decided to come to your rescue with a range of tips to beat winter blues. If you manage to implement these ideas at work, we stand guarantee that your work quality or your heath will not be affected due to winter.
Some important tips to beat the winter blues
- Make your superiors aware of your anxiety: Many people tend to have moments of anxiety attacks during the cold winter months. If you happen to be one among them it is best that you let your boss know about it beforehand so that there are no unpleasant surprises. Also this ensures that some steps can be taken to beat winter blues for you. A lamp at the side of your working desk for instance can be of great help for you to stay clear of the working blues.
- Make it a point to occasionally leave the office premises each day: Getting into your work seat all day is bound to give the atmosphere a negative and gloomy touch. Thus to enhance your mood you must leave the office premises once each day. It could be for a snack or a simple walk but you getting yourself some fresh air is extremely important. Do not be discouraged if it happens to be terribly cold and instead pack on some extra warm clothing and heavy jackets when you go out.
- No snacks just for the sake of your co-worker: One of the commonest reasons to eat junk food is by observing another individual. Winter is a time of all the sinful indulgence but that does not imply that you have to eat unhealthy snacks in your office. So make it a point that your snacking is restricted and just because a coworker is indulging in some unhealthy snacking, you don’t join in. This will ensure good health which easily will reflect in your mood at your workplace.
- Make our workspace smell good: Good smell has positive vibes associated with it and thus you can associate yourself with a fragrance of positivity in your office. This year to beat winter blues make sure that the working area smells all good and positive. It can be a smell of your choice or something that catches your fancy. It can be a citrus fragrance or a flowery one or even a natural one but importantly it has to be one that you will associate with a positive and happy frame of mind.
- Plan for New Year: Work performance as well as the mood for your work is lifted when you have something positive and happy to look forward too. Such is the case for you working during the gloomy winter months and to beat winter blues your best bet can be planning for the New Year ahead. When you have such fun plans for the New Year coming up it is an added incentive for you to finish all pending work with enthusiasm. So allow yourself a little indulgence during the New Year and remember to plan for them in advance so that working does not get monotonous.
- Do not skip exercises: When you are stressed out at work, other activities such as working out takes a hit. In such circumstances remember that winter is one of the best times in the year for you to work out. It is also a time of the year when most people indulge in a lot of sinful eating. So alongside consuming all the unhealthy fats and sugars make sure you have a healthy workout regime coupled with a steady and healthy diet of fruits and vegetables. A healthy body is the key to cheerful mind which is of great help to beat winter blues at work.
- Take your meetings outside: Meetings are an integral part of almost every job and winter does not mean that they can be skipped. Instead there can be a better way to deal with it which is by holding meetings outside. This will mean that you and your co-workers will be able to enjoy a welcome break from the monotony of the office. The productivity is maintained and so is the mood with a successful meeting at a place of your liking apart from the regular office space.
- Allow yourself a holiday: You have worked hard all through the year and this a time when you deserve a little vacation. So take a holiday and hit your favorite destination. There can be no better ways to beat winter blues than to go for a holiday at a place of your liking. It would be extremely de-stressing and when you come back, you can resume work with a renewed motivation and energy.
- Stay away from cell phones and social media: These are anyways major causes of distraction at your workplace. One of the best things to do is to stay away from these while you work. If you see others having fun or going out it is definitely going to affect your mood and your hunger for work. So while you can allow yourself some indulgence make it a point that during work you do not have such distractions.
When your mood is low it is important that you know the steps to follow to enhance your mood. Now that you read about our ideas for you to have a winter that is not gloomy, implement them in your office for the best of results. Let the winters be a season of good work instead of low days of both mood and productivity.