The sport of cricket is now famous worldwide and so are the players involved in this sport. They not only get celebrity status and publicity, but also get paid huge sums of award money. The new game format, which is 20-20 cricket, has made the sport more commercialized. Many investors are keen to put their money in this game by paying cricketers unimaginable amounts of bucks through contracts and sponsorships. Some of the cricketers are also earning a lot through off-the-field activities like television shows and commercials. Thus, cricket sets them to become rich in a shorter time period. Here are listed some such players that are on top of the list of highly earning cricketers and have made the biggest fortunes in this sport.
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: Born in 1981, Mahendra first entered an International cricket field by becoming a part of the Indian team in 2004. A year later, he was officially made to play for India. His potential and talent took him to great heights in this sport where he is now the skipper of the Indian team and has been leading the team of Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League (IPL) tournament. His leadership skills were clearly reflected in all formats of this sport and that has always attracted various demanding investors. Currently, he is the richest cricketer in the world with net earnings of over $8 million.
- Sachin Tendulkar: Known as the Little Master, Master Blaster, God of Cricket, and several such common names given to him by his fans across the world, Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar is undoubtedly the world’s most famous cricket player. He has created such world records during his term of play that there has been no dearth of sponsors seeking him. In IPL, this Indian player is priced at millions. This amazingly talented and generous player has remained the world’s richest cricketer for years. Sachin’s current net earnings remain close to $8 million.
- Dale Steyn: Known as the greatest fast bowler of modern times, Steyn has given various super-performances in his matches. This has made him a nice favorite of advertisers and investors that are paying him hugely for advertisements and club play. This South African cricketer’s net earnings are over $4 million.
- Andrew Flintoff: With his net earnings of $4 million, Flintoff is not only one of the richest cricketers in the world, but also an amazing player of the game. This English player is highly regarded in the world of cricket, as well as by the advertisers.
- Ricky Ponting: The former Australian team captain, Ricky Ponting, is perhaps the most stylish leader and performer on the field of cricket. He is also one of the wealthiest cricketers in the world and his net earnings are nearly $3.5 million.