Once again, it is that time of the year when major players are rolling out their prized smartphones and pitting against each other. Some of these latest devices have already secured spots on the top of our Christmas gift and wish lists. However, the real question is, do we really need to upgrade our ‘not so old smartphones’ with these new ones? Are we going to miss out on too much of action if we skip this version? Is it worth it?
What happens when your smartphones age
Following are some problems that most of us face when our smartphones become outdated:
- Frequent crashing of applications because our old phone’s software is not compatible with our application’s new one.
- We are not able to access certain new technologies introduced on the newer versions as there has been change in hardware.
- Outdated design and technology of our old device gives us an unsatisfactory feel. This could affect the productivity of the work we perform, as our spirits are low.
- Owning the latest device has become a style statement and it is a status symbol today. Therefore, if you do not stay updated, it simply tarnishes your image.
- You life comes to a standstill as everything in your hi-tech surrounding is controlled by gadgets that are synced to your super smart –smartphone!
What do you want from smartphone
Having a clear idea about what you want from the smartphone could save you big bucks from an unnecessary upgrade. How important is the multiple camera facility when you can click pictures with the single one on your old phone? What is all this jazz about fingerprint readers, iris scanners and face recognition for unlocking the phone when your existing vault is perfectly safe with a number pin! Are phone companies just piling on to unwanted features to lure people into buying?
If you only use your phone for social networking, chatting, clicking pictures, jotting down notes, playing simple games and for phone calls, then there is no need to upgrade your old smartphone – Unless, its pre-historic.
But, if you run a business or manage your work through your smartphones, spending all that extra money to be in par with latest technology is justifiable as then you can be assured that everything runs smoothly.
For the tech-savvy, the need to be constantly updated with newer and secure software gets them shelling out for the latest devices. This sits well with tech reviewers too.
Things to keep in mind before buying a new smartphone
No matter what the reason might be, if you think you are in a desperate need of a new smart phone and you have decided to buy one, then you shouldn’t hurry. You should rather keep your eyes open for discounts and offers. Buying an expensive smartphones at a discount price might save you a lot of money. Here are some of the offers that you can look for:
- Promotional offers: Generally, the mobile companies come out with great launch offers for a short period as pre-booking sales promotions for a newly launched handset. These include free gadgets and accessories, which are otherwise expensive. It would be good to make use of this opportunity since you are getting more value for your money.
- Third party offers: Few third party agencies associated with the mobile company offer attractive buy back policies for your older version, thus making it cheaper for the customer to avail the new handset. This type of promotion focuses on customer loyalty with the mobile brand.
- Online offers: Shopping via e-commerce sites has become a common norm these days. Because of this, various shopping sites come out with mind-blowing offers and slashes in prices for latest and premium smartphones to compete with each other. Making use of such sales promotion would be a good reason to upgrade your old device.
Nowadays, an average user upgrades his smartphone after two years. Earlier this gap used to be more, and it is reducing exponentially with time. Smartphone companies are trying their best to bring in new and attractive features to attract as many customers as they can. They are employing the best minds for designing and inventing new devices. We can’t expect Samsung and Apple to rest after Galaxy s8 and iPhone-X, we will see a league of better super smart phones in future. But, through all this, we must remember one thing, the latest smartphone never remains the latest for a long time, and after one year or so, one can easily buy it for half the price.