It is an age-old concept to ensure a nation’s safety and security through collected arms and weapons. Since these strategic assets are so important for countries, they get involved in a global arms race, and import and export of weapons continues to take place throughout the world. The constantly flourishing arms trade is also a matter of concern. Since there has been a greater arms demand from comparatively weaker countries, the powerful nations find it quite profitable to get involved in arms export. As per the latest arms export trends, following are the countries that are leading in this arms export race.
- United States of America: The U.S. is the largest arms exporter in the world with its total exports going up to weapons worth $28 billion. In spite of greatly promoting non-proliferation of arms, it is an irony that this country itself is on top of the list of weapon exports.
- Russia: One of the biggest suppliers of machine guns and other assault rifles, Russia has also been involved in major arms exports worth nearly $10 billion. This country undertakes about 23 percent of the global arms exports.
- France: With its developed nuclear weaponry technologies, France has become one of the largest global arms exporters and has been especially involved in the trade of nuclear technology. Being one of the major European powers, France has been exporting arms and weapons worth over $4.5 billion.
- United Kingdom: This country probably has the deepest historical links to global arms trade. In the past too, the U.K. has remained one of the mightiest colonial powers. It has directly handled fights in the two world wars and has been at the center of several military conflicts. You may imagine about the weapons power this country would have! Contributing significantly to global arms supplies, the share of U.K. comes to about $4 billion worth of weapons.
- Germany: This country has also remained constantly associated with war issues. It also fought the two world wars on its own and places importance on weapons and arms. That has led to its global arms exports being worth $3 billion.
- Israel: Israel has been constantly increasing its arms exports and there has been a significant rise this year over the last year’s exports. The country has done a total arms export of worth $2.4 billion.
- China: This Asian nation is also an emerging global power with an impressive state of military and economy. China has made significant developments in the area of arms and weaponry. Even though China does not wish to get involved in armed conflicts, it has been increasingly contributing to the global arms trade.