One of the sure signs of summer’s arrival are the stacks of watermelons piled high at the supermarket. Will those piles diminish more quickly this particular summer with the recent findings that a side effect of watermelon is that it may promote better male sexual health.
“The more we study watermelons, the more we realize just how amazing a fruit it is in providing natural enhancers to the human body”,says Dr. Bhimu Patil(director of the university’s Fruit and Vegetable Improvement Center in College Station)- Watermelons contain naturally occurring compounds that react with the human body and trigger healthy reactions. One of them is citrulline, a nutrient that has the ability to relax blood vessels – the same effect Viagra has. When citrulline is consumed, it is converted into arginine, an amino acid that greatly benefits the heart, circulation system and immune system, says Patil.
“Arginine boosts nitric oxide, which relaxes blood vessels, the same basic effect that Viagra has, to treat erectile dysfunction and maybe even prevent it.”
Impotence is caused by a variety of psychological and physiological problems, but extra nitric oxide could increase blood flow, which would help. While watermelon may not be as organ-specific as Viagra, it’s a good way to relax blood vessels without the side effects of prescription drugs.
Citrulline is more prevalent in the rind of the watermelon rather than the flesh. Because the rind is not usually eaten, two other scientists at Texas A&M are looking into breeding varieties of watermelon with higher concentrations in the flesh.
Regardless of the Viagra like effect, watermelon is high in vitamins C,A, B6 (pyridoxine), B1 (Thiamin), with traces of potassium and magnesium. But in particular, it is a dense source of lycopene.
As men age, lycopene can help prevent prostate cancer, so for that reason watermelon should be consumed in copious amounts along with tomato sauce.
Watermelon, it has been discovered, is also good for the heart, immune system and skin, as even though it is 92% water, the other 8% is pure anti-oxidant lycopene.
“We’ve always known that watermelon is good for us, but the list of its very important healthful benefits grows longer with each study.” This delectable fruit appears to have originated in the African Kalahari desert. It soon made its way to China one where even today it is most abundant. Today, it is a worldwide favorite especially in the heat of summer.