I believe that the adhering to the following dozen thoughts could change our lives in Mumbai for good:
1. Motorists stopped behind white lines, allowing pedestrians to cross roads at Zebra Crossings
2. Motorists stopped jumping signals irrespective of the time of the day. The costlier the offending vehicle, the more severe the punishment..for e.g. a day in jail
3. Traffic cops started punishing pedestrians too for crossing busy roads unmindful of the traffic
4. Pedestrians used foot paths created by the government
5. Voluntary student organisations such as NCC and NSS took up educating pedestrians to use the pavements created at tax payers cost
6. BMC and MMRDA took up removing hawkers and stopped dumping construction material on the pavements seriously. Arrival of Vehicles to clear the hawkers are too are well known and hawkers disappear temporarily only to make their way back after the vehicles leave.
7. General public stop patronizing hawkers on the streets.
8. BMC put up litter bins on the streets and thereafter punished anyone throwing litter around
9. Larger vehicles remained to the left of the road, buses stop at bus stations and not the middle of the road to pick up/ drop passengers.
10. Slower vehicles stopped hugging the right side of the road. Creation of dedicated speed lanes.
11. Politicians stopped telling us what was good for us. Let the choice of deciding what is good for me remain with me as long as I am adhering to the rules of the land.
12. Politicians stopped thinking of Maharashtra larger than the country itself and propagating violence to thrust their philosophy down our throats.