Ever since the New Motor Vehicle Act came into play, the penalties for traffic violations have raised significantly. These hefty fines were imposed to ensure that people adhere to the traffic safety rules, which will further get the road accident rates under control.
Also, while you follow the traffic safety rules religiously, you need to carry the vehicle-related documents with you at all times. These include the driving licence, vehicle registration certificate, PUC, motor insurance plan, etc. Failing to provide any of these documents will result in traffic challan charges as per the New Motor Vehicle Act, 2019.
But if you are afraid that you might lose them or they might get spoiled in the rains, you can use mobile applications to store them. In this section, we will be discussing two government-approved apps that will help you save your vehicle-related documents safely.
The Government of India released Digilocker App in 2018 to emphasise on digital India initiation. The primary agenda of this app is to reduce the use of paper in government offices. One can save their driving licence details and vehicle registration papers so that it is easier to carry them around when driving in India.
Here’s how you can store your documents on Digilocker App –
- Install the Digilocker app from the Google Play Store for Android users and Apple App Store for iOS users.
- Once the app is downloaded successfully, open it.
- Use your contact information to login. You get an OTP (One Time Password) to successfully login the app.
- After logging in, go to the ‘Uploads’ tab and select the add button on the top right corner.
- Now, choose the documents and certificates you want to upload on the app.
- You can also categories these documents in folders for your quick understanding in the future.
Note that you will have to add your Aadhaar card number for authentication purposes. Also, if your documents have QR codes, you can simply scan the code to add the document without having to take pictures.
The government developed and released the mParivahan app to check the vehicle registration details. One can search their vehicle registration details by providing the necessary information. Also, the app has the facility to save these details so that you don’t have to reenter the details every time you use the app.
Here’s how you can save the digital copy of your vehicle registration on mParivahan app –
- Download the mParivahan App from the Google Play Store for Android users and Apple App Store for iOS users.
- Sign up if you are a new user or login with your credentials (contact number and other details)
- Once you successfully log in, go to the ‘My RC’ section and enter your vehicle registration number.
- The app will then request you to enter the last four digits of the challan number and your engine number.
- After entering the required details, you will be able to see the registration details of your vehicle on the dashboard.
You can also use this app to retrieve your driving licence details from the ‘My DL’ section. The app will fetch your driving licence details and save a digital copy on the app for future purposes.
Having either of these mobile apps will ensure that you have your vehicle-related documents with you at all times. Know that failing to present any of the documents when asked by traffic police will result in hefty penalties.
Article Submitted By Community Writer