Below are the differences between dowry and alimony:
• Dowry is given at the time of marriage, where as alimony is given at the time of divorce.
• Dowry is given from bride to groom so couple can start their new life, alimony is given from a dead man to his x-wife so she can start her new life.
• Dowry is given as a reward for feeding a woman for lifetime, alimony itself is feeding a woman for lifetime.
• Dowry is illegal, alimony is 100% legal.
• Dowry is imaginary, alimony is real.
• Dowry is given on white papers of petition or FIR in forms of allegations, where as alimony is given through DD/cash/cheque (true physical form)
• One who takes dowry can spend minimum 3 years of life in jail. One who takes alimony can spend all years of life in enjoyment.
• Court gives punishment for taking dowry, court passes an order so that alimony can be taken.
• Harassment for dowry occurs on paper in form of false allegations, harassment for alimony occurs in mediation centre in form of “settlement”.
• Definition of “dowry death” in Indian laws is of such nature that many deaths can be included under it, there is no definition of “alimony death” in Indian laws.
• Dowry is given by some people so that they can get rid of their daughter, alimony is given by some people so that they can get rid of their wife.
• Giving dowry is matter of pride, giving alimony is matter of safety.
• There are many people who reject to take dowry, there are no people who reject to take alimony.
Below are the similarities between dowry and alimony;
• Both the things bring smile on the face of feminists.
• Both the things can bring tears in eyes of a divorced man.
• Both these things are for feeding a woman.