The National Human Rights Commission of Mexico said today that seven out of ten women over the age of 15 have suffered violent attacks and one in three of them are currently suffering abuse from their significant other.
Additionally, the NHRC stated that 12.4% of women who work outside of the home have suffered at least one act of harassment and 29.9% percent have experienced workplace violence, while 19.2% percent have reported physical violence within their homes.
The NHRC said that Mexico has a debt to women and claimed that the country persist in sexist, exclusionary and discriminatory behaviors that prevent these women from fully exercising their rights and prerogatives.
In Mexico, according to official projections, the population has reached 108.4 million people, of whom 50.9% are women and 49.1% men, which means there are 96 men per hundred women in the country.
23% of Mexican households are headed by women and the remaining 77% by men.
The NHRC called for society and the State to establish policies to end the exploitation and sexual harassment, domestic violence, discrimination and marginalization.
In Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, alone, there are at least 504 cases of women raped and murdered. Another 76 women are reported missing.
The majority of these cases go unpunished as those responsible have never been found or arrested.