Social networking platform, facebook is slowly but surely becoming a household item. Two big telecom players, MTN Uganda and Orange are fighting for subscribers by offer subscribers a chance to access their facebook profiles on their mobile phones for free! Yes, for free! Zero cost to mobile user.
Users on the Orange network, can:
– Get Facebook for free on wap-enabled mobile phone
– Go to m.facebook.com to view photos, chat or say what’s on your mind, with Orange Mobile Internet
– users are only charged if they try uploading photos to their account or accessing external links at a rate of 0.9/= per kb.
MTN Uganda on the other hand, offers:
– free mobile browsing on the new site: http://0.facebook.com (facebook zero)
– Facebook Zero is optimized for speed. Users are charged when they browse photos
– users are able to update their profile status messages.
Telecoms are ever looking for ways to entice subscribers to their networks. The battle is slowly but surely shifting to how to turn the growing number of online users to continually access the Internet on their mobile phones.