In India, more than 95% of the schools are not teaching properly. It is very difficult to get good education without tuition and parents teaching. Teachers are just interested to give home work. Most of the schools are giving less importance to teaching but to financial gains. Poor students are facing learning difficulties due to lack of support from parents and non-tuition.
Getting good education is a distant dream for middle class and poor in India. Schools are just interested in increasing fees and other expenses. Parents are burdened with frequent hikes in school fees, transport and other expenses. While govt. passed right to Education bill in Parliament, but it lacks clarity on how the public schooling system improved and how the parents are getting the benefit from govt. to send their children to school.
There is utter confusion and lack of clarity in this bill which needs to be better debated. The education sector is in dismayed condition and needs better revamp mode by removing unwanted burden of teaching while introducing latest subjects to mould and equip students for future needs of industry and to increase employment level.
Government is collecting education tax which is not used in improving education standard. Govt. even blames child labor for decreasing strength in schools without bringing tough legislation and efforts to get these children back to school. On the other, our govt. is making false claims saying that education is free up to High school which is baseless. What is happening now is parents are burdened with higher educational expenses to get a basic education to their children.
Other reason for non-performance of teaching staff is job security in govt. run schools and the staff engagement in other business/ jobs etc. Many a times, an unqualified staff is coming into teaching profession who are just holding certificates, but lacks teaching skills. Sometimes even teachers cannot match up with bright students in resolving their queries. The problems are plenty: there is bias, favoritism among the teachers.
The good public school system has almost collapsed in India. Even the unaided schools perform very badly except ones like CBSE and ICSE schools which are unaffordable to majority of Indians. Other worrying fact is the politicization of syllabus and educational institutions in almost every state. Governments – leading in state and center – are playing petty politics to push their agenda in the curriculum.
Among one of the most corrupted institution in India is educational institutions, as most of them owned by politician, bureaucrats, religious trusts etc. A lion’s share of family income goes to children’s education and most of the families are facing problem to meet the both ends. In early days, there were people run educational institutions for social cause, but nowadays the same institutions have become a milking cash cow.
Considering the above problems, I am putting some of the suggestions:
• Strengthening and improvement in public school system by reviewing state syllabus at par with C.B.S.E. syllabus.
• Teachers’ ability to teach the students should be checked every year by conducting exams, as most of the teachers are incompetent due to lack of skill, knowledge, absenteeism, laziness and lack of accountability.
• There should be a system where students and parents can judge about their teachers, their school, curriculum etc on half and yearly basis to take corrective steps.
• A complaint/suggestion register should be made available in every schools with a stamp and signature of education department.
• A special toll free helpline should be provided to let the district and state authorities know the schools’ problem.
• Improving teaching and technical skill like computers etc. the teachers need to retrain in Information Technology and modern methods of teaching and increase efficiency in classroom teaching so that students need not depend on home work and tuition.
• Meditation and yoga should be made compulsory in school to improve the efficiency and attention of the students.
• Other major recommendation is that students should get any one or two basic technical skills at school level itself. It’ll be helpful for the students in further studies.