Mobile devices set the course of business and consumers

The mobile revolution continues its upward trajectory. Only in 2013 the number of connected mobile devices grew by more than 500 million globally, smartphones representing 77% of this growth (406 million).


Mobile devices have become a leading tool for consumers when making purchasing decisions. A habit that has led them to neglect the traditional computer drawn by the convenience, and ease of use of smart terminals. Several studies have indicated that 55% of traffic recorded by retailers comes from mobile, smartphones and tablets devices, leaving 45% to the computer.

Smartphones and E-commerce

Mobile applications are an important gateway to ecommerce. The use of Smartphone has become an unstoppable wave, and the question of whether technology has caused a change in the consumption habits of the people arises. Social networks, applications and e-commerce are three fundamental pillars of mobile marketing. On average, consumers spend up to 15 hours a week looking for information on brands and products, using for this either their smartphone or tablet. Although smartphones outnumber tablets, the latest stand out when it comes to conversion rate. They are capable of generating up to 3 times more conversions than smartphones. Only during the last quarter of last year it was reported 11.5% of total online sales, with an average of $118.09 per transaction. In turn, this has also contributed to trends, such as, Showrooming and customer service online, giving the consumer more power when it comes to social networks and forcing brands to make the customer the center of their strategy in social media.

During the Christmas season, the most important selling season all year, smartphones accounted for 21.9% of online traffic, compared with 13.2% of the tablets. Instead, they more than doubled the time spent on the page and the conversion rate. The average visit when it comes to smartphones was 4 minutes with 5.5 page views: well below the 6.26 minutes that the tablets got to retain customers, with an average of 7.6 page views per visit. When converting, tablets recorded 12.3% of sales, while smartphones were unable to reach 6%.

Using the apps when it comes to navigation

In the business of mobile devices, it should be noted also the influence of applications, whose total revenue is expected to exceed 46 billion dollars in 2016. Reports around Mobile User Experience, published in November by Compuware, showed that the choice between using a mobile application, or navigate a website tailored for mobile, users choose with no doubt the application, 85% stays with the apps. Mobile applications are an important gateway to ecommerce, especially relevant to retailers. There are several indications from earlier this year, that online purchases through the use of apps has increased by 48% this holiday season, compared to last year.

A customer can devote up to 24 minutes per session to their tablet app with 4 times more than the time devoted to a website or webpage. For smartphones, the time spent on mobile applications triples the visits to the web (13 minutes vs 4.5). A trend that begins to be evident in the travel apps, or recommendations of products that already have 25% of mobile visits, and already featuring significantly in the gaming sector ( 61%), or Geo-location (52%).

As the data reflect, customer acquisition goes through immersion in mobile space. To do this, companies have to develop and be adapted to new needs and habits of behavior imposed by these smart terminal strategies.


Today's Top Articles:

Scroll to Top