Software developer and software engineer are the two terms which may seem confusing in many times to align with a particular role. For example, should we say “Ukrainian developer” or “Ukrainian software engineer?” It could be even a dilemma to fit the term with its purpose if not appropriately known. Though sometimes considered competitors, and compared as software developer vs. software engineer, in reality they are interrelated terms.
However, that does not mean they are quite the same thing. A software engineer engages in software development. However, not all software developers are engineers. Moreover, software engineers apply software engineering principles to software development. As the terms are confusing, it becomes tricky to understand who is a software engineer and who is only a part of the software development process.
What is a software engineer?
A software engineer is a person who must be able to understand software engineering principles, and know programming languages very well. They develop and maintain software applications and systems as per the users’ needs. Besides, they are capable of exhibit logical, and structured thinking which helps to identify the minute of glitches immediately. So, a software engineer must be a detail-oriented person with excellent problem-solving and communication skills. Along with they must be proficient with software engineering principles. Also a software engineer applies the knowledge of computer science and mathematics to software design and development.
Skills required in a software engineer:
- Knowledge of computer science fundamentals.
- Analytical ability, especially in information and system.
- Software design capability along with requirement concepts.
- Understanding of the architectural process of software systems.
- Fundamentals of different programming languages
- Knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Testing and debugging skill.
- Must know how to document detailed technical specifications.
- Should know about modeling and simulation techniques.
- Must know how to maintain source code and version repositories.
- Familiar with frameworks.
- Hands-on knowledge in database.
Software engineer job description
- Requirement gathering and analysis.
- Analyzing existing software programs and identifying areas for improvement
- Assessing the customer needs for improvement
- Managing a team of computer programmers
- Reviewing code developed by the software developer
- Designing a system.
- Software development and coding on an ad-hoc basis.
- Discussions with the sales team.
- Deployment of the developed component
- Early production support
- Giving presentations
- Participating in the testing process
What is a software developer?
Before defining the term software developer, we must understand what is called software development? So, it is the process of accepting requirements specified, designing modules, coding the modules as per design specifications, documenting, testing, and bug fixing. This involves creating and maintaining applications, different software components, and frameworks.
Though primarily, software development consists of the process coding and supporting those, however, it includes all the activities from the inception to the final manifestation of the software. So, software development also includes research, development, prototyping, maintenance, modification, re-engineering, reuse, or any other activities which result in software products.
Based on the above criterion the software developer skills and job description may vary as follows:
Software developer skills
- Understanding of software architecture.
- Knowledge of programming languages.
- Coding and debugging capability
- Knowledge of design patterns.
- Knowledge of different development platforms.
- Analytical ability and understanding of business logic.
- Understanding of SDLC (software development lifecycle) methodologies.
- Analyzing and writing and database queries.
- Knowledge of enterprise database systems.
- Good documentation ability of software processes.
- Must know how to reuse code.
- Knowledge of different design and development frameworks.
- Fundamentals of software testing, specifically unit testing.
- Knowledge of Unified Modeling Language (UML)
- Familiarity with flow charts and diagrams.
- Experience with source code repository systems etc.
Software developer job description
The software developers:-
- Develop the front-end and backend applications
- Test the developed units
- Assess the developed software and upgrades if needed.
- Deploy the application
- Supports after post-production deployment
The importance of the distinction
Quality control in software development is a primary criterion and also a widely practiced discipline in software engineering. This systematic approach exemplifies the engineering paradigm to the process of software development. Besides, it clearly defines what software engineering do as a process in software development. Though role wise, we say software developer vs. software engineer, however, these two interrelated terms will never exist if the other doesn’t. So, when a software developer concerns with the software development process and performs development that does not mean he is not going involve in designing, testing, or implementation process of the developed software.
So, the roles and responsibilities of software developer and designer may vary from project to project basis. Furthermore, the software industry is an industry where title matters a lot. So, we must understand what each job entails here.
Thus, if these two terms often get mixed up within terms like job offering and job description. However, for a unique and successful software solution, we need unique profiles.
So, this comparison software developer vs. software engineer helps us to understand –
- How do the fields differentiate and outline themselves
- What educational qualification we need to have to be compelled to enter a particular field.
- What do students learn seeking these degrees?
- What are the educational specializations related to these degrees?
- What tools the particular profession ought to?
As a conclusion, we can say that Software Engineers specifically use software engineering principles to develop software. On the other hand, software developers do software development. The skills and job profiles mentioned above are not limited. For example, as today, every solution revolves around the cloud, the knowledge of cloud systems is essential for both software developer and engineers. So, the two crucial fields of computer science, software engineering and software development if seen closely, have a difference in one way or another. So, clearly, these are not same and important to make a difference towards a structured approach of developing a software system.
Article Submitted By Community Writer